Our District campsite is called Hunters Greave.
There are two buildings on the site; these two buildings are all that remains of the Newlay Shell Factory which was build in 1915.
By 1946 there were only a few building left on this piece of land. Scouts from South West Leeds, Airedale and Pudsey Districts started to use the site with 238 camper nights in 1975. At a meeting at the Hunters Greave Committee a decision was made to sign a lease for the land with Leeds City Council. Since then Dave Cox has devoted most of his time to developing the facilities at Hunters Greave.
The site is four miles NW of Leeds city centre, on banks of the Leeds-Liverpool canal. It offers the very best in basic Scout camping, open fires and pioneering equipment. Armley Mills Industrial Museum is just 3 miles along the towpath.
Available activities include:
- Canoeing (canal)
- Climbing Frame
- Nature Conservation
Hunters Greave Scout Activity Centre NGR: SE242368
Mr J D Cox
39 Bell Lane
Tel: 0113 256 0542